PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, popularly known as PUBG, is one of the most famous battle royale games. The game requires players to have exceptional gameplay skills, and one of the essential components of the game is sound.
Footstep sound is crucial in PUBG as it helps players detect enemy movements and positions, which can give them a significant advantage in the game.
However, many players have complained about low footstep sounds, which can hinder their gameplay experience. In this article, we will discuss the ten ultimate ways to increase footstep sound in PUBG.
How Sound Works in PUBG
Before we delve into the ways to increase footstep sound in PUBG, let’s first understand how sound works in the game. Sound is an essential aspect of the game as it can provide players with vital information about enemy movements, location, and distance. PUBG uses a 3D sound system, which means that sounds come from different directions and distances, providing a realistic experience for players.
The game uses sound propagation technology to simulate sound waves travelling through the environment. Every sound has a source and a propagation path, which determines how the sound is affected by obstacles and distance. The game also uses HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function) technology, which provides players with spatial sound, allowing them to detect the direction of sound accurately.
Ultimate Ways to Increase Footstep Sound in PUBG
Adjust In-game Settings:
One of the easiest ways to increase footstep sound in PUBG is by adjusting the in-game settings. You can increase the sound effects volume, which will increase the footstep sound. You can also reduce the background music volume, which can sometimes mask the footstep sound.
Here are some settings that you can tweak to make the footsteps louder and more noticeable:
Master Volume: Increase the master volume to increase the overall sound level in the game, including the footstep sound.
- Effects Volume: Increase the effects volume to boost the sound of footsteps and other in-game sounds.
- Music Volume: Lower the music volume to reduce the background music, which can sometimes make it difficult to hear footsteps.
- Voice Chat Volume: Lower the voice chat volume if you’re playing solo or with a group that doesn’t use voice chat. This can make it easier to hear footsteps and other in-game sounds.
- Headphone Mode: Switch to headphone mode in the audio settings to optimize the sound for headphones. This can make it easier to hear the direction of footsteps and other in-game sounds.
- Sound Quality: Adjust the sound quality settings to prioritize clarity over fidelity. This can make it easier to hear footsteps and other in-game sounds, especially in noisy environments.
By adjusting these settings, you can make the footstep sound louder and more noticeable in PUBG. It’s important to note that these settings may impact other aspects of the game’s audio, so it’s recommended to experiment and find the best balance for your setup.
Using headphones is essential in PUBG as it allows you to hear the sound accurately. Headphones help to isolate the sound and provide better clarity, which can enhance your gameplay experience.
Why you should always use a Headphone during play PUBG:
Spatial Audio: Most gaming headphones come with built-in spatial audio technology that simulates surround sound. This can help you hear footsteps and other in-game sounds more accurately, as you can easily tell the direction from which they’re coming.
- Noise Isolation: Headphones also provide noise isolation, which can block out external noise and distractions. This can help you focus on the game’s audio and pick up on quieter sounds, such as footsteps.
- Volume Control: With headphones, you can control the volume directly on the headset. This means you can adjust the volume to your preference without impacting others around you.
Personalization: Headphones also allow you to customize the EQ settings and other audio settings to your preference. This can help you find the perfect balance between in-game audio and external noise.
It’s important to note that not all headphones are created equal, and some may offer better audio quality and spatial audio than others. Additionally, it’s important to keep the volume at a safe level to prevent hearing damage.
By using headphones, you can increase footstep sound in PUBG and enjoy a more immersive gaming experience.
Enable Loudness Equalization:
Enabling loudness equalization can help to boost footstep sound in PUBG. Loudness equalization is a Windows feature that adjusts the volume of all sound frequencies to the same level, making it easier to hear the footsteps.
Here’s how to enable loudness equalization:
- Right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and select “Sounds”.
- In the Sound window, click on the “Playback” tab and select your default playback device.
- Click on the “Properties” button at the bottom of the window.
- In the Properties window, go to the “Enhancements” tab.
- Check the box next to “Loudness Equalization” and click “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes.
Once you’ve enabled loudness equalization, you should notice an increase in the volume of quieter sounds, such as footsteps. It’s important to note that loudness equalization may impact the overall audio quality, so it’s recommended to experiment and find the best settings for your setup.
Additionally, loudness equalization may not be available on all sound cards and devices, so be sure to check your device’s specifications before trying this method.[irp]
Use Audio Enhancers:
Using audio enhancers is another way to increase footstep sound in PUBG. Audio enhancers are software that can be installed on your computer or mobile device and work by processing audio signals to enhance certain frequencies or add spatial effects.
These audio enhancers can boost the bass, treble, and overall volume, providing a better sound experience. Here are some of the benefits of using audio enhancers.
- Equalization: Audio enhancers can be used to adjust the EQ settings to enhance certain frequencies, such as the high-end frequencies where footsteps are typically found. This can help make footsteps more audible in the game.
- Spatial Audio: Some audio enhancers also provide spatial audio effects that can simulate surround sound, similar to the effects provided by gaming headphones. This can help you hear footsteps and other in-game sounds more accurately, as you can easily tell the direction from which they’re coming.
- Customization: Audio enhancers allow you to customize the audio settings to your preference, such as the EQ, spatial effects, and more. This can help you find the perfect balance between in-game audio and external noise.
Some popular audio enhancers for gaming include Boom 3D, Windows Sonic for Headphones, and Dolby Atmos for Headphones.
It’s important to note that not all audio enhancers are created equal, and some may impact the overall audio quality or performance of your device. Additionally, some audio enhancers may not be compatible with all operating systems or devices, so be sure to check the specifications before trying this method.
Optimize Windows Sound Settings:
Optimizing your Windows sound settings can also help increase footstep sound in PUBG. You can optimize your Windows sound settings to improve sound quality. You can adjust the sample rate, bit depth, and channel settings to match your headphones’ capabilities.
- Choose the right playback device: Make sure you’re using the right playback device for your setup. For example, if you have gaming headphones, make sure they’re selected as your default playback device in Windows sound settings.
- Set the audio format to the highest quality: In Windows sound settings, go to the properties of your playback device and set the audio format to the highest quality available, such as 24-bit, 192kHz.
- Disable audio enhancements: Some audio enhancements, such as bass boost or room correction, can interfere with the sound quality and make it harder to hear footsteps. Make sure all audio enhancements are disabled in Windows sound settings.
- Adjust the volume mixer: Windows has a volume mixer that allows you to adjust the volume for individual applications. Make sure the volume for PUBG is turned up and other applications are turned down.
- Use the audio troubleshooter: If you’re having issues with audio in PUBG, use the Windows audio troubleshooter to diagnose and fix any problems.
By optimizing your Windows sound settings, you can help ensure that you’re getting the best possible audio quality and volume for PUBG, which can make it easier to hear footsteps and other in-game sounds.
Use Third-party Sound Management Software:
Using third-party sound management software is another way to increase footstep sound in PUBG. There are several software options available that can enhance the audio quality and volume in PUBG. This software can provide advanced audio processing features, such as equalizers, surround sound, and noise reduction.
Here are some of the benefits of using third-party sound management software:
Customizable EQ settings: Many third-party sound management software options allow you to adjust the equalizer (EQ) settings to enhance certain frequencies, like the high-end frequencies where footsteps are typically found. This can help make footsteps more audible in the game.
- Virtual Surround Sound: Some software options provide virtual surround sound effects, which can help you hear footsteps and other in-game sounds more accurately, as you can easily tell the direction from which they’re coming.
- Noise suppression: Some software options include noise suppression features that can reduce background noise, making it easier to hear in-game sounds like footsteps.
Some popular third-party sound management software options for gaming include Voicemeeter Banana, Razer Surround, and Nahimic.
It’s important to note that not all software options are compatible with all operating systems or devices, so be sure to check the specifications before trying this method.
Additionally, some software options may impact the overall audio quality or performance of your device, so make sure to read reviews and do your research before choosing a software option.
Change Sound Card Settings:
If you have a sound card, you can adjust the settings to improve the sound quality. Changing the sound card settings can help to boost the sound quality and provide better footstep sound in PUBG.
Here are some tips for changing sound card settings:
- Check for driver updates: Make sure your sound card drivers are up to date. Visit the manufacturer’s website to download the latest driver updates, as outdated drivers can lead to audio issues.
- Adjust audio buffer size: Increasing the audio buffer size can help reduce audio latency and improve audio quality. You can adjust the audio buffer size in your sound card settings.
- Disable audio effects: Many sound cards come with built-in audio effects, such as reverb or echo, which can make it harder to hear footsteps in PUBG. Disable any audio effects in your sound card settings.
- Adjust audio channels: Make sure your sound card settings are configured for the correct number of audio channels. PUBG uses stereo audio, so make sure your sound card is configured for stereo output.
- Configure sample rate and bit depth: Ensure that your sound card is set to the appropriate sample rate and bit depth for your audio setup. PUBG uses a sample rate of 48kHz and a bit depth of 16 bits.
By changing your sound card settings, you can optimize the audio output and potentially increase footstep sound in PUBG.
However, it’s important to note that not all sound cards have the same settings or options, so it’s important to refer to your specific device’s user manual or online resources for more information.[irp]
Voicemeeter: Voicemeeter is a virtual audio mixer that allows you to control the sound inputs and outputs on your PC. You can use it to boost the volume of PUBG and other games, making it easier to hear footsteps. It also comes with several built-in equalizers that can enhance the sound quality.
- Equalizer APO: Equalizer APO is a free and open-source software that allows you to apply equalization to all your system’s audio. You can use it to boost the volume of footsteps in PUBG and other games. It also allows you to apply custom EQ profiles for different headphones and speakers.
- Razer Surround: Razer Surround is a virtual surround sound software that provides immersive gaming audio. It can enhance the footstep sound in PUBG by simulating 7.1 surround sound. It also comes with several presets for different game genres, including FPS.
- Dolby Atmos for Headphones: Dolby Atmos for Headphones is a paid software that provides spatial audio for headphones. It can enhance the footstep sound in PUBG by providing a more accurate sound positioning. It also works with any stereo headphones.
- Windows Sonic for Headphones: Windows Sonic for Headphones is a free spatial audio software that comes with Windows 10. It can enhance the footstep sound in PUBG by providing a more immersive and accurate sound experience. It also works with any stereo headphones.
Using these third-party applications can provide a significant boost to the footstep sound in PUBG. However, it’s important to note that some of these applications may have a performance impact on your PC, and it’s recommended to test them before using them in-game.
Footstep sound is a crucial aspect of PUBG, and enhancing it can give players a significant advantage in the game. By adjusting the in-game settings, using headphones, enabling loudness equalization, using audio enhancers, optimizing Windows sound settings, using third-party sound management software, changing sound card settings, updating audio drivers, modifying headphones settings, and using audio boosters, players can improve their footstep sound in PUBG.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I improve footstep sound in PUBG without using headphones?
Headphones are essential in PUBG as they provide better clarity and help to isolate the sound. However, you can still improve footstep sound by adjusting the in-game settings, enabling loudness equalization, and using audio enhancers.
What is loudness equalization, and how does it work?
Loudness equalization is a Windows feature that adjusts the volume of all sound frequencies to the same level, making it easier to hear the footsteps. It works by compressing the audio signal and raising the volume of soft sounds.
How do I update my audio drivers?
You can update your audio drivers by going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the latest version. Alternatively, you can use driver update software to automatically update your drivers.
Can I use multiple ways to enhance footstep sound in PUBG?
Yes, you can use multiple ways to enhance footstep sound in PUBG. Using a combination of methods can provide the best sound experience.
Can enhancing footstep sound give me an unfair advantage in the game?
No, enhancing footstep sound is a legitimate way to improve your gameplay experience. It can help you detect enemy movements and position, which is crucial in the game.